The annual, free SQL Saturday event in Baton Rouge is one of many events held all around the world throughout the year. Baton Rouge stands proud as one of the largest and most inclusive of all the events, attracting over 600 folks the past two years and growing considerably each year since our inception in 2009.
From Manchester, UK to Malaysia, from Omaha, Nebraska to Odessa, Ukraine, from Beijing to Baton Rouge, these events are community-led, community-attended, and feature talented volunteer speakers.
Why attend our SQL Saturday in Baton Rouge?
In honor of our seventh annual event, here's seven great reasons to attend.
- We're one of the biggest. We compete with Atlanta, Rio and others for the largest crowds. Admittedly, we invite the entire IT department, but we see that as a must-have and a plus.
- There are tracks designed to provide useful, practical, career-building content for job-seekers to CIO's, from students to experts, from DBA's to Devs, from Windows to SharePoint, and lots of stuff in-between (Business Intelligence, PowerShell and more!)
- Inside the 14 sessions that Sparkhound employees are leading, we have team members including our General Manager, developers, quality analysts, database administrators, server administrators and business intelligence visionaries. Again - SQL Saturday is for everyone.
- The lunch (jambalaya and a vegetarian option!) is free.
- Participation from local sponsors is tremendous as always, including local IT powerhouses like Sparkhound and Venyu; and national and international software companies like Profisee, GCR, Solarwinds and idera. The SQL specialists SQLWatchmen and Redgate; and local firms like Postlethwaite & Netterville, Turner Industries, Geocent, Farm Bureau, Robert Half and envoc will be at SQL Saturday Baton Rouge. And our local District 68 Toastmasters will be there.
- LSU's Business Education Complex, one of the newest buildings on campus, has state-of-the-art classrooms, all of which staff is happy to provide as part of their ongoing sponsorship of the event. Some LSU graduate programs even require student attendance.
At the end-of-day raffle (hold on to your wristbands!), the giveaways and prizes will include over $1300+ in books, XBox One's, gadgets and gizmos from vendors, and more. Plus a special appearance from the Empire!
Aren't you thrilled? As head of the planning committee since 2012, this is the highlight and capstone to my summer each year.
When you register at sqlsaturday.com, please consider checking the "Volunteer" box. This is an entirely volunteer-staffed event, and we need proctors, greeters, folks at the registration table, in each classroom, at lunch, and after the fun is over. Plus, this year, you get an amazingly stylish and highly visible construction vest!
See you there!